The Gothic

Mill Street - Elevation
Stair Addition
Stair Addition
Restored Atrium & Lobby
High Street - Concept
Section through Proposed Addition
Typical Floorplan
The Gothic - Akron, OH

Originally designed by Frank O. Weary, prominent Akron architect, in 1902 this Gothic revival building was restored to include offices on the upper floors and retail/ restaurant at grade. A new brick and glass elevator/ stair addition was designed to subtly interact with the historic facade, as well as meet current code, ADA and State of Ohio Historic Preservation requirements. The office lobby utilizes passive environmental control and borrowed lighting through the restoration of the central atrium and the addition of a large skylight.
The project took advantage of Federal Historic tax credits as well as state of Ohio tax credits.